Everybody has rough days. Hard days. Painful days. Difficult days.
It’s one of the things every human has in common, isn’t it? It’s easy to become myopic on these days.
Lately I’ve been trying to recognize what God’s grace looks like in my life on these difficult days. Intellectually I know that God’s grace may very well be the difficulty. But in the midst of it, I rarely feel this. Although knowing it does make a huge difference.
Anyway, today I’m making a small list of how God’s grace is felt by me in the hard moments.. sometimes moments that string along for days or weeks.
1) I feel God’s grace when my 5-yr-old daughter sees my difficulty and ministers to me by offering to play with her younger sister in the other room. Thank you Lord.
2) I feel God’s grace through a husband who’s willing to do whatever it takes to make sure his wife is well-cared for.
3) I feel God’s grace when phone call from a stranger jars me out of some unhelpful thoughts and unwittingly reveals that my life is really a string of blessing upon blessing.
4) I feel God’s grace in Advil Liquid Gels.
5) I feel God’s grace in a messy house that is evidence that we have friends who like us enough to come to our home and stay for a few hours. I wish it lasted longer.
6) I feel God’s grace in a schedule that is empty today, but full tomorrow, and keeps me from drowning at home.
7) I feel God’s grace in the ministry of His Word. It is powerful. It is active. It contains the power and Person of the Gospel, which I need. Everyday.
8) I feel God’s grace in the gift of prayer. The Spirit and the Lord Jesus make it possible for me to pray to God the Father. They cover me and utter for me. They bring me to the throne of a Tender Father, not a wrathful one.
9) I feel God’s grace in the sun heating up my back as I type this. And a house with many windows that lets it stream in. And when I’m done I will turn around and soak it in on my face and my eyeballs.
10) I feel God’s grace in that, when I sat down, I only had 4 or 5 things to list as His felt grace for today, but He is faithful in showing me many more. More than I could ever record.
How are you experiencing His grace today?
Today, feeling God’s grace…
…as I listen to my girls giggle.
…as I read His Word and am granted with a clearer head, getting rid of so many of the selfish thoughts rumbling in my head.
…as I had a quite house to rest and read this afternoon while my little ones rested soundly.
…as I read a note from you (Ab) of God’s goodness in you this day.
…as I think of my husband, off providing so well for us.
…as I got to be the one that held my crying girls however many times they have cried today.
…as I am grateful to have boxes packed and a house that is now sold.
…as I am healthy today with a healthy growing family to take care of.
There is much more of God’s grace filling my today, but this is where my list ends for now.
God’s grace eludes me
Far too often I’m afraid
No… I elude grace 🙂
I love reading your stuff, mainly because you are honest & vulnerable. I was reading some advice for writers the other day & the author stressed the importance of honesty, saying that only the most brutally honest writing makes really good reading. I think it’s true. And I struggle myself with a desire to be honest & the opposing desire which is either motivated by wanting to keep my stuff my stuff or by not wanting to let someone down with who I really am. I should get over that.
Anyway… I love your posts that shine a little light into the struggles & the less clean, less simple side of life. Thanks for continuing to share!
Thanks Heather. Honesty on a public blog is always a fine line! I try to be as open as I can.
You’re good at being honest. It’s much of what makes you a good friend, in my opinion. 🙂